Mini Wagyu Burgers with Blue Cheese Gougères
- FOR THE GOUG
- 1 cup Water
- 3/5 oz. Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tbs. Kosher Salt
- 1 pinch Sugar
- 5 oz. Flour
- 5 Eggs - whole
- 1/2 cup Danish Blue Cheese - finely crumbled
- 1 pinch White Pepper
- FOR THE BURGERS:
- 2 lbs. Ground Wagyu
- Kosher Salt - to taste
- Black Pepper - to taste
- 1 bottle Yeo's Sweet Chili Sauce
For the Gougères:
- Preheat conventional oven to 450°F.
- If using a convection oven, preheat to 375°F.
- In a medium saucepan combine first four ingredients and bring to a boil. Add the flour all at once and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together and forms a ball.
- Remove from the heat and stir for another minute. With the spoon beat in the eggs one at a time, making sure that each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next. Stir in the blue cheese and white pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pipe out tablespoon mounds of batter, evenly spaced one inch apart. Wet your finger and smooth out any pointed tops.
- If using a conventional oven: Bake gougères at 450°F for 8 minutes, then turn oven down to 350°F and bake for an additional 20-24 minutes or until golden brown. Be sure to rotate the pan at least once while cooking at 350°F.
- For a convection oven: Bake gougères at 375°F for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. You will not need to rotate the pan.
- Once the gougères are done, set them aside to cool while you form the burgers.
- Gougères will keep at room temperature for 3 days or you can keep them in the freezer for 6 weeks.
For the burgers:
- Using a 1 1⁄2 oz ice cream scoop or a scale, form the beef into ball and then flatten the top and bottom to resemble a hamburger shape. Season both sides of the burger with salt and pepper.
- In a large sauté pan or grill set over medium-high heat, sear the burgers on both sides for about two minutes per side.
- Place in 400°F oven for about 3-4 minutes for medium-rare, 5 minutes for medium and 6-7 minutes for medium-well. Once the burgers are cooked to your liking, transfer to a paper towel lined sheet pan to drain. Glaze each burger with the sweet chili sauce.
- Cut the gougères in half to make mini buns. Place one burger in between the gougère and skewer with a frill pick and serve.
- This recipe will make 20-24 burgers, the gougère recipe will make many more than you need, but they make addictive snacks while waiting for the burgers.